Saturday, 1 July 2017

New Wool -New Project

Six hanks of Spinning

Strange how the solstice can bring new energy.

Mid-winter here has brought two kinds of weather; Overcast and blustery with rain or blue skies and no wind with frosty evenings. I prefer the latter.

Our geography here means we get weather systems rolling over the isthmus from either the Tasman Sea or from the South Pacific. The absence of either gives us cold from the Antarctic. A Southerly means cold here.

So at the mid-point of the year we were treated to a full week of blue skies and a high pressure system and we all relaxed and got on with stuff.

Pencil-roving made from raw fleece.

I had a whole week of productive work and I relished in it.

I am partly resurrecting last year's derailed project with a view to exhibiting. 

A small grass roots organisation has been supporting the local Arts Scene and have reached a point where they are collaborating with local charities. I was asked to submit something for an auction to raise funds for the local Womens' Centre and I agreed on the spot. These good people provide clothing, maternity wear, baby stuff, sanitary supplies, refuge from abuse, advice, medical help, legal help etc, etc.

So last year's "Irish Cloak" has merged into this year's "Shetland Hap". I think you can see a link between these garments in terms of -wrapping, enclosing, protecting, as well as adorning.

They also reflect corners of my heritage...although the Shetland bit is stretched because it's actually Orkney for my lot. I hope I'm forgiven.


Hackle loaded with raw fleece -weathered tips to the back. Brass diz and crochet hook to the right. 
The project gives me a more formal structure (Shetland Hap) as well as a design around hand-spun wool...and a deadline.

SO...I am focused.


I have researched and read and read. The plan is written,the border design done and only the Edge Pattern to choose.

This raw fleece from a local farmer/businessman is black/brown.
I am happy to be once more engrossed.

At a local market, a customer was really surprised to find that I do the Whole Process from beginning to end; combing, spinning, washing then designing and knitting.


My workspace 

...and yes, I use an electric wheel for production work.

I'll be back when the knitting progresses.

Many thanks,

Fiona MacBride

Tin Shed Yarns







No comments: