Connemara Stole blocked on a frame.
I work very quickly and do not organise a filming of the whole process. I simply get the garment out of the rinse bucket and onto the frame or table-top and get stretching.
I do, however, lie in bed in the days before the blocking and think through how I am going to go about the process.
This garment demanded a firm finishing, square edges and straight sides, therefore a frame was mandatory.
Lighter yarns will survive blocking with T-pins (office supplies shops stock these).
Weather plays a part too; My stole was blocked during a muggy rain shower.
Being Aries, everything has to work smoothly and easily and though I adore the traditional process of hand-knits, I do zoom around using modern tech and quick-fits (or life-hacks) to get the job done. In this blocking preparation I thought a lot about zip-ties.
I knew I had a stash of about 3000 bought for various DIY jobs, so the remaining 2897 had sat in the shed innocently until called upon this week.
|Zip-ties along the edge of the frame.|
It was an experienced decision that made me set the frame at a 60cm x 1.6m oblong. Don't ask me to explain that one...only that I knew from previous work that this garment had a one-third stretch (meaning it would stretch at least a third longer and wider).
The zip-ties held the stole beautifully and you can see in the colour changes of the plastic zip-ties that I went around the frame dividing the spaces between zip-ties into twos as I pulled the wool out to the edge of the frame.
The zip-ties didn't slip on the wet wool and could be slid around until I was happy with the placement and then locked into place. This would have been a laborious task with pins or lacing.
The video below adds more and tells you can take those zip-ties out and re-use them.
I like this idea, hope you do too.
Tin Shed Yarns.