Thursday, 3 November 2016

The Balanced Row....or....spot the mistake




Can you spot the mistake in this chart?

For too long lace charts were a silent menace to me.

Their matching cousins, "The Abbreviations"  were just mean, jeering, playground bullies.

SSK translated as a string of curses while K2Tog was the nickname of a thug. 

I could manage with the charts in the Burda Magazines because visually it was all laid out and as I come from a dressmaking background, I had no dilemma with garment construction.

Lace-knitting was a mystery and only for The Few.

While the battle for mastery of knitting was a personal battle for me, printed instructions for lace were undergoing their own global truce talks. In the Eighties charts were becoming more standardised in magazines and books while the matching abbreviations slunk off into two positions, American or British. Interestingly it was the Europeans who charmingly continued on in charts or with basic schematic drawings expecting one to make fabric to match; Fabulously unconcerned by customer queries.

Soooooo........here in 2016, feelings have thawed and British and American designers and publishers have simply put UK and US abbreviation versions together in the key alongside UK and US needle sizes. 

And here is where I get to explaining that the software programme I use carries more then one standard abbreviation for the symbol that represents the stitch...even I have had to disseminate the vagueries of decades of cold-war knitting symbols.

So when I began designing for lace-knitting, I was indeed more than a little nervous about the responsibility.

Have you worked out the mistake in that chart at the top?.....there's a clue in the key as one stitch symbol has been highlighted.

The mistake is not so much about THE WRONG STITCH but more about the "adding up" of all the stitches at the end of the row.



This is the corrected version......rows 7 and 15 would have been one stitch too long if you had followed the chart at the top. In the amended version I have placed a double centred decrease to capture that extra stitch and give symmetry to the design.

....and this all came about because I picked that original pattern from a Stitch Dictionary and I never thought there would be a mistake...shows you!

Fish Scale Lace as part of the Kilsalagh Lace Stole
I am grateful to my friend Pat McCormack who undertook a review of this early pattern of mine. It is now ready for download in the side-bar.

Take care,

Fiona MacBride

Tin Shed Yarns








No comments: