Thursday, 16 July 2015

Doing Big Girl Stuff


Being Aries I have tended in the past to wade into big projects, carry ALL the responsibility, insist on high standards, annoy EVERYONE and then withdraw at the end in a tired, whimpering heap.

I have improved a bit over the years....I have learnt to explain myself a bit better and to gather like-minded people around me, which is exactly why you are here now reading this -a wool worker and creative type.

Pattern-writing has fascinated me for ages. The standard has improved promisingly and designs and yarns accordingly. Photography and modelling now is all at once realistic AND desirable.

So when I tried my hand at pattern-writing I went off at my usual Aries rate...alone, determined, and assumed I could do it. It explains the lack of writing on this web-site. I did one sensible thing....just one, but it saved my creative soul and curbed my Aries fire. I contracted a Tech Editor to check a pattern. This pattern is my first complicated one...it involves dividing work to make legs AND a gusset. I'm glad I did use a professional. I've learnt about the new genre of writing I am now involved in and it is called Technical Writing...apparently it's "a thing".

 I am now deeply involved with the back-stage area of setting up shopping carts, the Pro section of Ravelry, and the dreaded EU VAT. It's all suddenly very real and a teeny bit scary.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Port Albert Hall
I live in a rural town. 

This hall is an hour north of where I live, so you are driving alongside the Kaipara Harbour through rolling farmland and down a gravel road to this gem of a building built by settlers. 

I was here for poignant reasons; a funeral gathering was being held for the mother of a good friend. This where rural people come into their own. The whole event was done by family and friends at this huge old building. I was on kitchen duty.

We fed and looked after over 150 people. Like all good farming folk they brought a plate of food to share for the funeral supper. We then matched those plates with their owners afterwards. It was exhausting but important work.

Port Albert (or Albertland) was known for being a non-conformist settlement. The eight ships bringing the settlers are on plaques on the walls of the interior. There were few religious references in the service but lots of stories and chat over cups of tea.

I want to thank Colleen's family for including me in their day.

Take Care


Fiona MacBride

Frost last week...yes, it's winter here.
 

 


No comments: